[vox-tech] Before I do this...

Rusty Minden vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:44:01 -0800

For what my limited advice is worth I would start by checking the install. Is
it partitioned properly IE is /var and / on separate partitions this is a pet
peeve of mine I like to start with proper partitioning, but that is only my
opinion.

Make certain that you have the accessed files properly separated from the
rest of your system and if you are accepting data from browsers check for
overflows and such.

Check your system for proper patches and keep it to a minimum. The more
software you have installed the more can go wrong IE less is better than more
:-) Other than that keep good logs and check them monitor your traffic and
use programs like ntop to monitor your network flow and saint to look for
security holes like unused ports. You may also want to look into a good
security book. LUGOD has one that I donated a while back and I have "Hack
Proofing LINUX" by Syngress Press. I was impressed with it personally. Look
at http://www.nerdbooks.com for other good books Dave has a great book store.

The last item keep backups. Do it offten and keep them for at least a few
weeks cdr's are dirt cheep so don't shoot yourself in the foot by not backing
up your system.

Rusty