[vox-tech] What I Did Tonight

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:30:16 -0800

I try to get partitons right the first time, since moving them about sucks.

i usualy have 7 partions as follows on my workstation

hda:

/mnt/windows    yeah, I dual boot.....
/var            This tends to be always in use....
swap            Ditto

hdc:

/boot           I do this out of habit, probably don't need it.
/               System config and tools
/usr            User software
/home           My stuff!

It's almost always a good idea to give /home it's own partition,
since if you decide to install a new distro, you don't kill your
personal config and stuff.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:57:39PM -0800, ME wrote:
> Things you may want to move to other partitions (in common order): YMMV
> /usr/local   (My first choice)
> /home        (If you have lots of users...)
> /var         (a potential rat hoel with web docs and log files...)
> /var/log     ( on a busy server, this can amount to lots of used space)
> /var/www     ( "  "    web "   "              "           ")
> /tmp         ( useful for gimp (etc) to have a tmp not on "/"

I just link /tmp to /var/tmp