[vox-tech] What I Did Tonight

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:57:39 -0800 (PST)

Things you may want to move to other partitions (in common order): YMMV
/usr/local   (My first choice)
/home        (If you have lots of users...)
/var         (a potential rat hoel with web docs and log files...)
/var/log     ( on a busy server, this can amount to lots of used space)
/var/www     ( "  "    web "   "              "           ")
/tmp         ( useful for gimp (etc) to have a tmp not on "/"
/usr         ( Some distros even put stuff in /usr/sbin and /usr/bin
                that is needed for booting, so this is questionable.)
/boot        ( shown last since it often has very little data if sep
                partition is used for it.)

Things you probably DONT want to move to other partitions (keep on "/")
(Most important to keep to least important):
/     (of course... heh)
/etc  (Need this for /etc/fstab for one....)
/lib  (Where are your modules stored?)
/sbin (bad one to take away...)
/dev  (devfs reason shy this not as important)
/bin  (Some distros need stuff here to get other fs up too...)

Many of these last parts (depending on distro) have "things" required by
the system during boot in order to get other filesystems mounted/usable.

Also, when you copy stuff, be sure to play with :
# cp -ar=20
or
# cp -aR  (when copying device special b,c,f, etc files)

Short-term solutions:
del core files,=20
visit any open src trees and make clean them,
look through each user's account and destroy netscape cache's (or other
 borwser caches),
find and eliminate emacs backup files *~,

You get the picture...

Hope this helps.

-ME

P.S. hope this e-mail does not put you over 100% ;-)