[vox-tech] Software IDE Root RAID on Linux

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:02:17 -0800

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:23:40AM -0800, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> This makes perfect sense on a production machine, not needed in my
> case.  I will remember for further reference for sure.
>
> Bill:  How do you handle swap partitions on this machine?

Normal swap partitions, as recommended, it makes sense since you don't
need the overhead of the raid layer and swap already will make use
of multiple disks for increased performance.

> Does anyone slice up there drives into non-raid partitions for different
> uses like swap or for the root partition and then use the remaining free
> space for RAID.  I am just curious on the ways different people set
> things up.

If you want to survive a drive failure boot onto a raid-1 mirror,
then place everything else on a raid 1 or raid 5.  Very little reason
to put swap on a raid partition.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics