[vox-tech] Software Root RAID part 2

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:37:24 -0800

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:21:17AM -0800, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> In addition to my previous post I would like to know if anyone is
> running ext3 or any other journaling filesystem on a software RAID.
> This should not matter as the file system is separate from the RAID
> however the system does need to boot and may need information passed to
> the kernel.

ext3 is the default with redhat-7.2.  Grub has some extra functionality
and awareness of journaling filesystem, I don't recall if it's ext3's or
reiser though.

> Also is anyone using a software RAID with devfs?

Either, but not both here.

Devfs seems like a big win on a diskless linux box/thin client,
I wouldn't recommend it in general (yet), I've seen numerous strange
bugs because of it, from network drivers, video card drivers and
keyboard drivers.

If your into it to check it out go for it...

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics