[vox-tech] Pointer Trouble with Touchpad

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:54:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> someone (mike simons?  mike egan?) gave explicit instructions on how to
> set up a mouse on linux.  you may want to go back to the archives to
> check it out.

Mike Simons did it! (pointing finger of blame for such a good description
gpd and X with mouse config ;-)

> a rough overview is:
>
>    gpm reads /dev/psaux
>    gpm repeats on /dev/gpmdata
>    X reads /dev/gpmdata (not /dev/psaux)
>
> again, the issue is two processes reading the mouse device file will
> interfere with each other.
>
> this setup is not always necessary.  but what you just described is a
> classic symptom of this.   check out the archives.
>
> pete

Not using the gpmdata (when also using X) can lead to the exact problem
you describe.

Using gpmdata (in present gpm AFAIK) leads to loss of being able to use
the mouse wheel (even with gpd using RAW for repeat passing) while using
"X".

There is a patch to gpm (dont recall where) and instructions on how to get
mouse wheel events passed to X with gdp. However, not all applications
support the mousewheel. (I noticed your Z-axis mapping which is why I
mention this.) You can configure the event to act as another key or
selection (a friend of mine set his up to have the mouse wheel depression
act as the middle mouse button.)

-ME