[vox-tech] fwd: [lugod lert] Unstable Linux Machine

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:21:35 -0700

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

----- Forwarded message from hajhouse -----

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:20:35 -0700
To: cdimara@ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: [lugod lert] Unstable Linux Machine

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:32:57PM -0700, cdimara@ucdavis.edu wrote:
>=20
> Damany Imara
> 512 Primero Grove
> Davis, CA 95616
> zero@ucdavis.edu
> 530 754 3509 -best time to call is after 5pm or on weekends
>=20
> 1.2 Ghz Athalon
> VIA KTH8 motherboard
> Logitech Wireless USB mouse
> Winfast Geforce 3
> 512MB ram
> Ensoniq Sound Card
> Toshiba DVD
> HP CD-RW
>=20
> I'm runnign Linux Mandrake.
>=20
> There are two issues which may just be one. 1. My usb mouse cuts out=20
> intermittently. After booting everything is fine, but at random times my=
=20
> usb mouse will just become unresponsive. And I'll have to reboot to get i=
t=20
> back. 2. My system is highly unstable. It reboots at its own will. Freeze=
s=20
> under minimal load and with plenty of unused ram. I have been told that i=
ts=20
> a software problem but with every reinstall of the OS, Windows and Linux =
of=20
> a variety of distrobutions, the instability returns. Plus, isn't Linux=20
> supposed to be dependibly stable? I'm hoping that you guys can rule out t=
he=20
> software bug for surem and if possible, tell me what hardware is tearing =
up=20
> my system.
>=20
> I work full time + summer school so the best time for an appointment woul=
d=20
> be weekday evenings or on the weekend. I live on the UC Davis campus. If=
=20
> desired, the lert representatives beer of choice can be purchased for=20
> consumption during th

I have forwarded your request to help to the pool of volunteers. While you
are waiting for a volunteer to become available, I suggest that you post a
question to our vox-tech mailing list* with such information as your system
logs (/var/log/*), contents of /proc/pci, and output of dmesg.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>