[vox-tech] preventing display of typed text?

Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:22:12 -0700

begin p <p>
> begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
> > On Thursday 20 June 2002 11:36 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > without checking, i've used 2 perl modules that might help:
> > >
> > > term which implements the advanced features that termcap provides like
> > > underlining and boldfacing text
> > >
> > > ncurses which basically implements the C style ncurses library.
> > >
> > > i would imagine both modules allow you to do this.  in fact, i _know_
> > > that C/ncurses has a function to block echo in raw mode.  i'm guessing
> > > that perl/ncurses can do this too.
> >
> > I prefer a solution that is platform independant
>
> ryan, this is perl code.  what makes you think these modules aren't
> platform independent?
>
> don't you think DOS has it's own terminal handling capabilities?
>
> > and non perl specific if possible, i.e., I may want to do something in
> > bash or write a cross-platform perl script.
>
> again with the strange comments.  ryan, you need to learn two very
> important things:
>
>   * the bash interpreter doesn't understand perl.
>
>   * the perl interpreter doesn't understand bash.
>
> now go out and investigate my suggestions, otherwise i'll find out for
> you and if they turn out to fulfill your needs, i'm putting you on my
> webpage of crackpots.

should've been a smiley after that last bit.  sorry.

seriously, you need to learn to not be so dismissive of a suggestion
until you check it out first.  otherwise, you have no business asking
the question in the first place.

check out the term module.

pete