[vox-tech] preventing display of typed text?

Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:03:11 -0700

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
> On Thursday 20 June 2002 11:36 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > without checking, i've used 2 perl modules that might help:
> >
> > term which implements the advanced features that termcap provides like
> > underlining and boldfacing text
> >
> > ncurses which basically implements the C style ncurses library.
> >
> > i would imagine both modules allow you to do this.  in fact, i _know_
> > that C/ncurses has a function to block echo in raw mode.  i'm guessing
> > that perl/ncurses can do this too.
>
> I prefer a solution that is platform independant

ryan, this is perl code.  what makes you think these modules aren't
platform independent?

don't you think DOS has it's own terminal handling capabilities?

> and non perl specific if possible, i.e., I may want to do something in
> bash or write a cross-platform perl script.

again with the strange comments.  ryan, you need to learn two very
important things:

  * the bash interpreter doesn't understand perl.

  * the perl interpreter doesn't understand bash.

now go out and investigate my suggestions, otherwise i'll find out for
you and if they turn out to fulfill your needs, i'm putting you on my
webpage of crackpots.

pete

ps- for bash, look at tput.