[vox-tech] setting up 2 ethernet cards

Paul Barnhart vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:11:08 -0700

I'm setting up a new "always on" box (DSL router/firewall, webserver,
mailserver, fileserver, X10 controller, weather station monitor, etc)
and I want to use 2 identical pci ethernet cards. My problem is, how can
I _guarantee_ which card will be eth0 and which will be eth1.

The relevent lines in /etc/module.conf would be:
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias eth1 ne2k-pci
The information I've been able to find says the first card it finds will
be eth0 and the second eth1. This sounds a bit like a crapshoot to me.
The only way to tell the cards apart is the hardware addresses and I
don't know how or where to specify that.

Any suggestions?

The way I did it with the old box was to use one pci card and one isa card
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias eth1 ne 0x280
This is still plan b but it would use up my only ISA slot.

Thanks
Paul