[vox-tech] What's needed for 3D support?

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:18:49 -0700

I seldom play games and I'm a complete dummy when it comes=20
to 3D stuff.  But yesterday I was trying to get billardgl=20
and tuxracer to work, without much luck.

I've got an aging 16MB Voodoo Banshee card on my desktop
machine running Gentoo Linux (2.4.19 kernel, xfree 4.2.0).
The kernel has the tdfx video stuff built-in (not a module),
and XF86Config includes 'Load "glx"'.

Tuxracer does run, but I get about 0.3 fps.  BillardGL sort
of runs except it's ridiculously slow, taking 5-10 minutes=20
just to get past the splash screen and continually eating
100% of the CPU and all real memory.  This is a 500 Mhz=20
Celeron box with 256MB RAM.

Does anyone have pointers/suggestions?

Thanks,

-- Rod