[vox-tech] Question about listing loaded modules by process...

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:53:03 -0400

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:49:24PM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> Isn't there a program out there, a la lsmod and lsof, which allows me to
> list what processes are requiring the use of what OS device modules? In
> other words, to list out the fact that "play" has "sb.o" locked into
> memory?

  I don't know of anything that allows a lookup of what raised the
use count on a loaded kernel module.  It would be useful for lsmod,
rmmod, or modprobe to be able to print this information out.

  I imagine if it were easy to do it would have been done already...
but I would file a bug against modutils if I wanted to know why it
is not possible.  :)

  Keep in mind that a process is not required to hold a kernel module
into memory.  Two simple examples are mounted filesystems will hold
that filesystem module into memory and an up eth interface will hold the
ethernet driver.