[vox-tech] debian apt-proxy

Mytho-X vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:47:08 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:

>Quoting Mytho-X (Mytho_X@pacbell.net):
>

>>Has anyone setup apt-proxy?  I need a few pointers  I set it up
>>yesterday morning and I was trying to do a new install from another system.
>>On the computer I am trying to install debian woody on I keep getting
>>the message cannot install <package x> where x is the .deb file it is
>>trying to install.
>>I get this wether or not I choose the debian fpt/http site, the
>>apt-proxy computer or from cd-rom.  It just may be I have an old install cd.
>>

>First of all, let's be clear about the nature of your problem:  If
>you're saying that your Debian system cannot fetch packages from the
>Debian on-line mirrors or CD-ROMs, then it has a serious fundamental
>system problem.  That is separate from any problems you might have with
>apt-proxy.
>
>So, are you asking for help fixing the machine that can't install
>packages, or are you asking for help configuring the apt-proxy machine?
>Judging from your account, the apt-proxy machine may be operating just
>fine, and you have no particular reason to think that it isn't.
>
>On the machine that can't install packages, what messages do you get
>back when you type "apt-get update"?  Does package x have an entry
>in that machine's /var/lib/dpkg/available file?  If so, what does the
>entry say?

I will clarify I have one problem and one learning curve.  The problem I
think has to do with the debian woody boot cd.  I get the error above
and the package(s) it is try to install is the debian base package so it
has no apt-get setup yet.  I eventually got through the install by
retrying again and again.  It will say that x package is corrupt.

The learning curve is how do I test my apt-proxy computer/server?  I got
through the base install of debian on the other computer so when I
finish the setup I am assuming I can set it's source.list to deb
http://myaptproxy:9999 woody main contrib non-free etc... and it will
then request the packages from the apt-proxy server which in turn will
go to it source for the packages and then cache them for the next time I
do an update.  I glanced over the man page for apt-proxy and the project
web page and did not see a lot of documentation.  I would love a source
for more documention/ information.

This bring me to the question what is the best way to burn a new woody
boot cd using my apt-proxy server?

Thanks,
Stephen