[vox-tech] installfest qwestians

Richard Burkhart vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
15 Jun 2002 19:35:16 -0400

I've got a few various headaches in store with my current machine ...
was hoping to solve a few at the installfest ...

a) I've currently got mandrake 8.1, which i thooopidly let Red Carpet
have its way with.   I don't have make, gcc, or any of the other tools -
and when I tried to use RCarpet to install them, I got into dependency
hell that refuses to resolve.  --Would running the mandrake 8.2 update
install possibly clear this?  -- will someone have the full package
there?

b) Sound only works 1/2 time -- when playing MP3s and wavs, but not for
system events (system claims to not have permission to access /dev/mixer
-- dev/dsp ... stuff like that)  -- will anyone be there that might have
an idea on this?

c) plan C of course, is to brillo-pad Mandrake off my system & replace
with debian woody (it's also what I'd originally planned to do when
exploring linux -- try several distros) -- Will a full copy of it & a
big buncha deb's (open office, evolution (or otherwise usable emailer)
abiword, gaim, etc.) be there?

   -- of course, if I loose my fight with laziness, I'll sleep till 2
and this will all be moot.

ttylater

coffee|work.on.desk > /dev/null