[vox-tech] Re: Woody NVIDIA X Setup

Sam Peterson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:16:36 -0700

Just a heads up on a problem that nearly stumped me when I switched to
debian on my desktop machine installing the nvidia drivers for it.  It
was my own darn fault, and I doubt you'll run into the same situation,
but just in case.  During the install I had loaded gcc-3.0.  Trouble
was, I updated my alternatives to point to it, manually (how I managed
this I can't remember).  The nvidia Makefile used "cc" for the compiler,
but the kernel Makefile used "gcc", hence, gcc-2.95 was being used for
my kernel and gcc-3.0 was being used for the nvidia drivers.  I kept
getting warning messages about compiling the module with a compiler the
kernel hadn't been compiled with, and X would never start.  Dang thing
baffled the hell outta me until I reazlied what was going on.