[vox-tech] Woody NVIDIA X Setup

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 01:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> BEGIN rUSty Minden <clownsinc@attbi.com>
> > I have not been able too get either working. I have tried to use xf86config
> > and xf86cfg. I have always had trouble with X and this was supposed too be a
> > learning experience for me (and it has, but it is getting a bit frustrating).
> > I have figured out that I had to change /etc/apt/sources.list over to woody
> > to get updates and load packages. That really threw me for a loop, but no
>
> updates and load packages only for woody.
>
> > luck yet with X. I was thinking about getting my settings from SuSE and
> > trying them, but have not yet.
>
> i can't see why that wouldn't work.  the only possible flaw i can think
> of is in the font paths.   that should be standardized, even across
> operating systems...
>
> give it a try.
>
> also, post any errors or warnings from your X log.

(Agree: logs from the x server make guessing possible problems easier as
would copies of your XF86Config file(s))

To get mine working with X v4.x, I was bad and went with the nvidia
drivers/modules to be loaded with X so that I could get wolfenstein to
play. I think it was the TNT2 32, but cant be sure right now.)

The files I found were:
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1541.tar.gz
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-1541.tar.gz

If I recall, non accellerated 2d support worked fine without these, I just
needed them for the 3d accellerated stuff and GLX support for wolf.

-ME