[vox-tech] xlib/gdk questions

Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:44:29 -0700

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:35:14PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > i think this is the source of my confusion about global versus local
> > colormaps.
> >
> > program A has a colormap of 256 colors.  program B also has its own colormap
> > of 256 colors.
>

> Yeah... SOrry about that.  I didn't really explain global vs. local.
> (I never deal with this these days, obviously :^) )
>
> I think when you do local colormap, it gives you what it can, or a
> 'best fit' color, if there's no more room to alloc. colors.

ok -- i know there's a gdk function that returns the "best approximate
color" to some given color you want.  there must be a corresponding xlib
function.  there must be a function that tells you how "close" your
Color is to the requested Color.

> -bill!  (not as 'leet an Xlib hacker as most think :) )

hey -- anyone who can connect to the X server, put a window up and draw
a color smiley face on a window is a haX0r in my book.  ;-)

pete