[vox-tech] remote desktop question

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:21:57 -0400 (EDT)

> Err, actually it's 5900 in this case (as netstat reports it). I changed
> it
> after posting, but still no luck, seeing as the problem isn't quite at
> that
> end.

Gabe (and anyone else using VNC on the internet),

After getting VNC working the way you want with the firewall, etc...  I would
advice changing the port numbers from 5900 to some random port number above
60000.  Most port sniffers know about VNC, but also do not tend to sniff that
high in the port number ranges.  The default port number (5900) is well known
now and since there is no user name needed for logging into VNC, just the
password (and that was limited to 8 characters).

Stephen