[vox-tech] remote desktop question

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Matt Holland wrote:

> So you *are* going to use vnc?

It seems to be the only way to accomplish what I want.

> If you are using vnc alone, and if we imagine for a moment that the
[...]
[snip]
> remote_machine.  If you're doing it the other way (or if that even makes
> sense), I don't know.

Gotcha.

> I know this doesn't quite address your whole question.  I don't know how
> to deal with the firewall/router, though I would expect that it would
> involve forwarding a port from the router to the remote machine, if
> that's even possible with your setup (are we talking a hardware
> firewall/router, or a linux box?).

Ah, right. Ya, it's a linux box. I had forgotten about forwarding between
my desktop and router. I'll have to try that.

> It's also not clear to me what the connection is between vnc and krfb,
> which is probably why your port numbers are different (I guess 5500 is
> the standard port for X display :0.0?).

Err, actually it's 5900 in this case (as netstat reports it). I changed it
after posting, but still no luck, seeing as the problem isn't quite at that
end.

> Hope this is helpful, incomplete as it is.

Thanks,

-Gabe