[vox-tech] sticking sans serif font in latex

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:00:59 -0700

I have a document in LaTeX which is being concatenated with others to
form a PDF.  (We're using Perl's "Text::Template" package to actually
convert ".tex" templates into ".tex" LaTeX code proper, so I have nifty
switches in the templates which allow you to say whether the template
should consider itself the first page (include preamble) or last page
(\end{document}) or not (\pagebreak))

Anyway - On one page, a coworker (you know who you are :^) )
used a "\sffamily{}" tag around some text.  This caused (and I believe
this was his intention) the page to have a Sans Serif font.

Unfortunately, when other pages are appended to the LaTeX to form
a multi-page (multi-document) PDF, the font on all of the SUBSEQUENT PAGES
are ALSO Sans Serif - which they aren't if printed separately or simply
printed BEFORE the Sans Serif page.

I've tried a number of things to disable the Sans Serif font and reset it
to Serif (Computer Modern Roman, I guess), but am failing.

Removing the "\sffamily{}" around that one header on that page also
causes EVERYTHING to become very large.  I'm guessing it's because
I went from this:

  \sffamily{\huge{\textbf{Foo Bar Baz}}}\\%

to this:

  \huge{\textbf{Foo Bar Baz}}\\%

I'm pretty lost.  I'm not very good at LaTeX, and the document in
question was created over a year ago and it was never fathomed that
it would be part of a multi-page batch print!  The original author
isn't too sure what's going on, and neither is the local LaTeX guru
(who, unfortunately, isn't tasked to work on this crap - I am :^P )

Any suggestions?

In the meantime, as an interim solution, we're just going to make sure
that the Sans Serif page(s) print last.  That's a crappy/kludgy solution
though. :^P

Thx!

-bill!