[vox-tech] Debian Woody Officially Released

Matt Roper vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:03:03 -0700

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 03:13:31PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> > On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 12:06:39PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > > From the perspective of a running system's admin,
> > > it was Debian-stable one day, and still Debian-stable the next day.
> > > The fact that it automatically followed the symlink from stable = potato
> > > to stable = woody is intellectually interesting, but the admin probably
> > > wouldn't even notice unless he read Slashdot.
> >
> > Trust me.  I noticed. :)  "apt-get upgrade" (or was it dist-upgrade?)
> > had been installing 0 changes 99% of the time for the past ~6 months or so.
>
> that's about right.
>
> > Last night, an 'upgrade' of 'stable' caused about 200 packages to come
> > through.  I have about 10000 more installed files and directories on my
> > system. :)
>
> there is something wrong with your system.   what have you DONE to your
> poor system?  :)
>

> give me the name of a single package that got upgraded last night.
>
> then give me the version number you currently have.   then give me your
> /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
> if you had 200 packages upgraded last night, something is definitely
> wrong.

Bill was using stable, so when he upgraded last night, he effectively
moved his machine from 'potato' to 'woody.'  Are you saying that there
have been less than 200 packages updated in Debian since potato was
released?  200 packages upgraded sounds low if anything...  The only
reason why upgrading would not cause hundreds of packages to be upgraded
is if you put 'potato' in your /etc/apt/sources.list instead of 'stable.'

Woody is a _big_ upgrade from potato.  Probably more than 90% of the
programs packaged by Debian have seen a new release between potato and
woody and there have been hundreds of new packages added also.

Matt