[vox-tech] TeX question: writing a robust fraction macro

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:35:24 -0700

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

I'm trying to write a robust macro for literary-style fractions, in which t=
he
numerator is superscript and the denominator is subscript around a slanted
line, not a strait line as in $\frac{1}{2}$. I came with:

	\def\frac#1#2{
		$^#1\!\!/\!\!_#2$
	}

which is fine except that the fraction is always set in roman even in an
italic block. I tried again:

	\def\frac#1#2{
		\raisebox{0.3ex}{\footnotesize{#1}}%
		$\!/\!\!%
		\raisebox{-0.3ex}{\footnotesize{#2}}
	}

except that there is now too much space between the denominator and the line
when set in roman and too little in italic.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to improve this.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>