[vox-tech] realplay and vnc: font weirdness

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:09:31 -0700

Has anyone ever tried to use realplay on a vnc desktop?  The situation
is that I have is that I have a box without a monitor that's hooked up
to a stereo, and I'd like to be able to use it to listen to realaudio
content.  If I run an Xvnc desktop on that machine and login from
another machine, I can open realplay, and it works, except that the menu
font is all screwed up (I just get a bunch of those little dotted
rectangular boxes that you see when the proper font encoding isn't
available).  This makes for a challenging user interface!  Another clue
is that while the window background is typically grey, when running
under vnc, approximately the lower 2/3 of the window is tinted a light
blue color.  I ran realplay on this box when it had a monitor, and
everything displayed perfectly under XFree86 4.1.

I'm having a hard time tracking down the problem, because there doesn't
seem to be anything relevant in the vnc log (i.e., it's not complaining
about missing fonts or anything), and the UNIX version of RealPlayer is
almost completely undocumented (not to mention that the source is
unavailable).  It would seem, though, that since everything works
properly under XFree86, maybe Xvnc is to blame (or the configuration
thereof).  Google searches have turned up nothing promising.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt