[vox-tech] easy httpd.conf question

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:45:03 -0700 (PDT)

When you request a directory from the web server, the "normal" thing (what
I see most often) that some web servers do is report [301 Moved
Permanently] then redirect the client. I would bet some clients may
intercept such a 301 error without telling the user and then try
adding a "/" on their own if there is not redirection from the
server. (Just a guess.)

I have plenty of log files showing that users visiting my site get 301
errors when accessing a directory without the trailing "/" with a
"new" request for the same directory with the slash frot he client
immediately following. (Most are from other people's sites who cant code
URLs to dirs with trailing "/". :-/

A 404 error seems less than desireable. I have seen this come up when
people sometimes use the "alias" directives in httpd.conf "directory"
containers and also when trying to use symlinks at the filesystem level in
the published web space. Are you using an alias or symlink for this served
directory that has problems?

If no to both above, then check some modules...

If you dont have the moduel enabled, your best bet is probably
"mod_dir" inclusion.

Another possible one that *may* work (probably best to use mod_dir) is
mod_speling (note spelling of module) deals with odd case and characters
being off by one or missed rather well. It may include trailing "/" you
can check...

Hope something here helps...

-ME