[vox-tech] Wireless ethernet trobleshooting.

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:14:07 -0800

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 09:24, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> The 169.254.0.0/16 network has been proposed for use in automatic
> configuration in the absence of a DHCP server. I am not aware if this is
> an actual sanctioned use, but it apparently has become de-facto use by
> the presence of implementations such as Microsoft Networking.
>
> Ergo, the computer(s) having trouble are probably Windows machines, and
> are having difficulty contacting the dhcp server.

Remarkable!  You mean the machines when configured as dhcp clients will
silently fail when unable to contact a server, assigning themselves a
random IP address?

Reminds me of IE's "friendly HTTP error messages" option which is selected
by default -- what it does is throw away error messages that the server
tries to send you.

It's evident that Microsoft assumes everyone using their products is a
complete idiot.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/