[vox-tech] Wireless ethernet trobleshooting.

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:24:47 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Ken Bloom wrote:

> At my friends' house, they have a DSL setup for 10 computers using wireless
> ethernet, with an additional computer connected to the router by means of an
> ethernet cable (because that computer is in the same room as the router).
>
> They are currently having internet trouble and the wireless computers cannot
> connect to the internet, but the wired one can. The router reports that it
> is supposed to give out (by DHCP) IP addresses in the 192.168.1.0/24 range,
> but after I released and renewed the DHCP lease for one of the wireless
> computers, it reported that it had been assigned the IP address
> 169.254.183.13 (which obviously means that the router in question didn't
> assign the DHCP lease). The wired computer recieved the IP address
> 192.168.1.100, and its internet works correctly.

The 169.254.0.0/16 network has been proposed for use in automatic
configuration in the absence of a DHCP server. I am not aware if this is
an actual sanctioned use, but it apparently has become de-facto use by the
presence of implementations such as Microsoft Networking.

Ergo, the computer(s) having trouble are probably Windows machines, and
are having difficulty contacting the dhcp server.

> Knowing this, the problem must be with the wireless itself. Is there any way
> to further diagnose what the problem with their connection might be?

I don't know.  I would look for lower-level troubleshooting tools for this
technology.. I have not played with wireless.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing