[vox-tech] phone supplies

John C. Alden vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:27:18 -0800

Hmmm.

Jacks:
Yup, Radio Snack had *some*, but I agree, the best selection was OSH or
Home Depot. If you have CAT-5 wire, you could use a multi-purpose insert
with 110-type punchdown blocks, you know, the tiny inserts like the newer
flush wall jacks at UCD?

http://www.electronichookup.com/keystone%20jacks%20and%20plates.htm

And a color pinout scheme:
http://www.onepassinfo.com/bgtt/rjinfo.asp

Boxes:
Did you want a surface-mount or a flush-mount with a plate over it?

There are single-gang boxes that have medium-sized metal flanges that stick
out to the sides, and, somewhat like a spring-bolt, they stick out and
tighten to the inside of a wall.
Not sure if this one can be removed (and all parts saved); like a
spring-bolt, you might lose the flange if you loosen it.

There are also the regular single-gang, flush-mount with tiny top & bottom
ears (plastic if you get the blue non-metallic) or metal ears if you get a
metal box. This kind can be removed rather easily for repositioning.
Non-metallic are easier to work with.