[vox-tech] Network Configuration

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:49:48 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I didn't say I had a problem with my network card, I just said that
> `dmesg` didn't say anything about the card. Perhaps you missed it when
> I said that this ethernet card that `dmesg` didn't report was the one
> I was using to post my response to the list. So the question lies,
> what good is the `dmesg` test if it doesn't report a card I know to
> *is* working?

dmesg can report kernel boot information (including hardware
detection) unless your machine has been on a while , or something has been
logging stuff for dmesg to cause the older stuff to be wiped out.

You can think of the data available to dmesg as being limited for being
over-written as new data comes in. Immediately after a boot, assuming
other things are not complaining, dmesg should show you good detailed
information about your hardware.

Perhaps you have more wrong with your box. Check out
# dmesg |more
and see what you have.

A properly configured server which has been up for 175 days, has so little
reported for access with dmesg, that I can see to the top of where my
kernel was just starting to load. (And this is a busy web server.)

(Have had other servers with >300 days of uptime that also allow me to see
the top of my dmesg data from boot >300 days ago.

To have so quickly lost much of your kernel reported messages from your
dmesg output, suggest you may have some kernel problems, or maybe some
very verbose bits of code loaded in/by your kernel.

Sorry that I misunderstood the problem.

dmesg is very cool. When you system is well configured, you can have dmesg
called shortly after full boot to store your kernel boot info into a file
instead of trying to use your scroll back buffer for your tty and gdm to
copy and paste into a file, or copy by hand this data.

Also, it can help you to identify potential problems or a misconfigured
kernel or module. The man pages for it are short on my system, but
describe what it is for.

-ME