[vox-tech] C question: global vs local const

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:47:48 -0800

do you have a more thorough piece of demonstration code for what you're trying to do. Both of
these pieces of code, as written, should initialize K and ratio to the value of 2.0, and
should both do so without compiler warnings or compiler errors. (I may be wrong, assigning
2.0L to a double in any circumstance may cause warnings to be emitted. Try just assigning 2.0)

However:
/////////BEGIN
extern const double ratio = 2.0L;
extern const double K = ratio;

int main(void)
{
    return 0;
}

is illegal, because the extern declaration implies that the variable has been defined in
another file.

also, putting another assignment statement like K=4.0; right before the return 0; should be
illegal in both cases.