building Mozilla (was RE: [vox-tech] stable web browser?!?)

Holland, Matt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:28:36 -0800

OK, so now I'm interested in building Mozilla... a non-debug, optimized
version as Gabe suggested.  I downloaded the source for 0.9.5, read the Unix
build docs on mozilla.org, and still find myself a bit at a loss.  Any
chance someone could post an example .mozconfig file with some comments on
which options to worry about?

Thanks,
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Gabriel Rosa
To: 'vox-tech@lists.lugod.org'
Sent: 1/15/2002 8:16 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] stable web browser?!?

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Holland, Matt wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> After spending the last hour killing and restarting Netscape, then
Mozilla,
> I find myself longing for a stable web browser.  Does such an animal
exist?
> If so, I'd like to know about it.  Even a version of Netscape or
Mozilla
> that seems to be magically stable would do the job; I'm currently
using
> Netscape 4.76-11 and Mozilla 0.7-15 (the versions distributed with RH
7.1).
> I tried Amaya, and my general reaction was "damn this thing is ugly,
and who
> the hell wants a WYSIWYG HTML editor anyway?"
>
> Opinions?

Mozilla 0.9.5 is rock solid for me. The speed isn't too shabby either,
although you'll most likely notice a slowdown compared to opera or
navigator.

Mozilla 0.9.6 had some issues, so i never used it.

Mozilla 0.9.7 has JS issues, and some memory leaks, but is otherwise
very nice. I'm thinking 0.9.8 is gonna rock if they fix those issues.

I use mozila exclusivelly now. The nice is that you can also use
netscape
plugins. Make sure you either build an optimized, non-debug version --
or
if you're into running other people's binaries, make sure you get an
optimized, non-debug version :) (or else it'll be slow, and you'll get a
wrong impression)

-Gabe