[vox-tech] Problems with dual boot system (Win 98/RH 7.2)

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:30:51 -0800 (PST)

The recommendation was *for* putting the OSes on different hard drives.
It certainly helps with stability.  Windows may have problems if you
put it on the slave drive, though.

Anyway, for better performance, it'd actually better to span the OSes
across multiple drives.  It's okay as long as you keep both of your OSes
on a short leash.

BTW, there was some slight misinformation from someone earlier about `SYS
C:` vs. `FDISK /MBR`.  I don't recall what it was, exactly, but `FDISK
/MBR` creates master boot record appropriate for DOS/Windows.  `SYS C:`
installs the DOS kernel+ (msdos.sys, io.sys, and command.com) on the C:
drive.  SYS does not do anything on the MBR, AFAIK.

Also, I don't recommend overwriting the MBR with zeros.  You should never
need to do that.  `FDISK /MBR` should work fine, unless FDISK is infected
by virus.

AND!, I always recommend putting the boot loader on the partition boot
sector, not MBR.  Windows will mess with MBR everytime you reinstall it,
but it won't touch the partition boot sector of unrecognized (ie - Linux)
partitions.

-Mark