[vox-tech] Yargh! Printer not playing nice!

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:56:23 -0800

Whoops.  Sorry about that.  I thought I'd sent out another e-mail
earlier with much more information, but I never got a response.  I guess
it didn't get through.  Heh.

Okay, here's the scoop.

I picked up an Epson Stylus Photo 820 printer.  I picked up this one
because we need a photo-quality printer, and my research at
www.linuxprinting.org and other places indicated that this printer both
plays nice in a network environment like mine (where we have two win98
machines, a win2k machine, and my occasional Linux box).  The printer is
hooked up to one of our windows 98 computers, and is shared out
properly.  My wife's Windows 98 computer can print to it perfectly, and
so can I as long as I'm logged in to Windows 2000.

When I'm logged in to Linux, though, it's a different story.

I have used printconf-gui to set up the printer on my computer.  I
selected Windows printer (SMB printer); I entered the name of the
computer and the name of the printer share (e.g.,
//CRAPPYWINBOX/STUPID_PRINTER)... Since this is Windows 98 which doesn't
worry about permissions, I have left the username and password fields
blank.  For host IP address, I've tried the IP address of the hosting
computer, the name of the computer, and leaving it blank.

I've selected the appropriate driver.

But when I try printing from Linux, what happens is this: it feeds one
page through all the way, and then it feeds a second page halfway from
the stack into the printer... and then stops.  At this point, I end up
having to press the form-feed button on the printer, and then turning
the printer off and on to clear out its cache (spool, whatever).  When I
keep an eye on the printer monitor on the hosting win98 computer,
nothing shows up.

I've looked at linuxdoc.org, linuxprinting.org, and comp.os.linux.redhat
for support, but haven't found anything relevant.

I'm using Red Hat 7.2.

I think that's all of the relevant information.  Let me know if you need
more.

--
Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com
	http://www.mossroot.com
MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com

"When you have lost the ability to laugh at yourself, you have lost the
ability to think straight." --Clarence Darrow

"Push the button, Max!"