[vox-tech] mounting woes

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:09:16 -0800

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 08:21:25PM -0800, Eric Nelson wrote:
[...]
> I think I used cp -a, I used midnight commander, and it usually seems to =
do=20
> OK, but next time I will use command line to be sure.  I could have done=
=20
> something else, like got a circular link or something that messed it up. =
=20
> Just wanted to know it the basic idea was correct.

The basic idea is correct, but the details can bring the operation to a
grinding halt ;-).

> > Why did you not mount /dev/hdc1 under /usr to avoid one of the symlinks?
> > That's the way I would do it. It ought to work either way though.
>=20
> That's what I wanted to do, but wasn't sure how.  How do you do that?

Move your old /usr out of the way and make a new empty /usr. Edit /etc/fstab
to add an entry thus:

	/dev/hdc1	/usr		ext2	defaults			0 0

Then run 'mount -a' (which mounts the filesystems listed in /etc/fstab).
Move /home into /usr and make a symlink from /usr/home to /home.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>