[vox-tech] mounting woes

Eric Nelson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:21:25 -0800

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 08:07 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:52:15PM -0800, Eric Nelson wrote:
> > My dead rat 6.2 partition was filling up, and I got a new 40 gig drive,
> > so I decided to put part of the distro on a partition on the 40 gig, but
> > got into trouble.
> >
> > First, I mounted the new partition:
> > mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/40g
> >
> > then I copied /home and /usr to /mnt/40g.  The goal is to move them, but
> > for now I just renamed:
> > mv /home /home1
> > mov /usr /usr1
> >
> > then I created links in /
> > ln -s /mnt/40g/home home
> > ln -s /mnt/40g/usr usr
> >
> > I fixed up fstab to mount the new partition.  It seemed like everything
> > should work OK, but when I tried startx, it couldn't find things, fonts
> > and such.  Is the basic theory OK, or am I making a conceptual problem?
>
> Since you did not include exact error messages, we can only provide
> approximate answers.
>
> It sounds to me like you did not use 'cp -a' when copying, so permissions
> were not set properly on the copies.

I think I used cp -a, I used midnight commander, and it usually seems to do
OK, but next time I will use command line to be sure.  I could have done
something else, like got a circular link or something that messed it up.
Just wanted to know it the basic idea was correct.

> Why did you not mount /dev/hdc1 under /usr to avoid one of the symlinks?
> That's the way I would do it. It ought to work either way though.

That's what I wanted to do, but wasn't sure how.  How do you do that?