[sharp-linux] Re: [vox-tech] 'screen' size?

Mark C . Langston vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:02:15 -0800

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:50:57AM -0800, William Kendrick wrote:

> [ regarding my problem running "tin" on my ISP's shell, while SSH'd in
>   from my Zaurus, I asked folks in my LUG whether 'screen' had a way of
>   providing a larger virtual screen than the terminal size, and then
>   allowing me to scroll/pan around ]
>
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 08:27:45AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > you might be able to fool tin by setting COLUMNS and LINES, but you'd
> > need a way to scroll.   surely the zaurius has some concept of a virtual
> > screen?
>
> Currently, no.  The two ways to resolve this include:
>
>   1. Rotating the terminal 90 degrees.  (I can't do this, but I think
>      it's a feature coming soon.)  Of course, this raises the issue of
>      how to type on the hardware keyboard w/o turning your head sideways :)
>
>   2. Making the terminal provide an "80 column emulation" mode, which,
>      when enabled, provides a horizontal scrollbar.

Why not just create an appropriate termcap or terminfo entry for the
Zaurus?  I haven't looked, but I'd imagine there's already one on
the Zaurus itself that would just need to be added to the machine
in question.  Then, when you log in, make sure your $TERM env var
is set appropriately, and viola.

This is how the problem was solved when I was using wireless devices
on my Palm V to access various *nix systems.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org