[vox-tech] palm questions

Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:24:06 -0800

begin William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:04:20PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > I've successfully updated my OS from 3.5 to 3.5.1.  I know that PalmOS 4.0
> > is available now and that you can upgrade it.
>
> The actual _ability_ to upgrade, and the highest version you can upgrade
> to, may be an issue, though. :^/
>
> Pete - what kind of Palm device do you have?  If I recall, it wasn't
> even a Palm III, was it?  (Maybe I'm confusing you with another friend I
> know who's had a Palm for a while.)

i currently have a palm (the original) and an agenda.  the agenda is
really too hard to use for a pda.  it's fun to hack on, and i've built
custom root filesystems for it, but at the end of the day, i think it's
too much of a toy, not enough of a pda.

i'm thinking of switching back to palm.  my current palm needs to be
recalibrated every week; i think it's losing its marbles.  i'd like to
replace it before it fails completely.  it has served me well for a
very, very long time.

the palm VIIx is selling for 200 bucks, and it comes with wireless
communications hardware.  the basic service is 10/month.   i think what
would absolutely sell me would be if i can have an ssh client on the
palm.  otherwise, wireless communication won't mean much if i can't get
into dirac.org.

i made a gnumeric spread sheet comparing and contrasting the different
pda.   it's ironic that the linux PDA's are the most expensive.  with
the exception of the agenda, of course.  but frankly, i don't really
need all the powerful hardware that comes with the linux pda's.  when it
comes down to it, coolness != usability.

i have contacts.  i have a schedule.  being able to sync "ical" with a
pda schedule is worth more than color, hires screen and audio capability
put together.

pete