[vox-tech] palm questions

William Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:48:00 -0800

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:04:20PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I've successfully updated my OS from 3.5 to 3.5.1.  I know that PalmOS 4.0
> is available now and that you can upgrade it.

The actual _ability_ to upgrade, and the highest version you can upgrade
to, may be an issue, though. :^/

Pete - what kind of Palm device do you have?  If I recall, it wasn't
even a Palm III, was it?  (Maybe I'm confusing you with another friend I
know who's had a Palm for a while.)

FYI, there's a Palm Users Group (PUG) in Sacramento.
I don't know much about them (although I met someone from there at
the Sharp Zaurus Symposium, actually!), but I'm sure a quick web search
will find them, and they probably have a support mailing-list not unlike
vox-tech.

> I think I recall hearing that PalmOS is open-source,

I'm fairly certain this is not true. :^/

> which is one of the
> reasons why there are so many PDAs running it.  But I've never attempted to
> mess around with it.

Nope... licensing deals. :)  Handspring and IBM pay/paid Palm for
the ability to include PalmOS on their devices.

-bill!