[vox-tech] Oh my God! What have I done to my poor Linux box?!!?

Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:48:52 -0800

begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> I'm still a friggin' newbie, unfortunately.
>
> If my MBR is screwed up, how is it that I'm still able to load Win2K on
> this machine?

ok, so perhaps the boot sector on the linux partition is hosed.  what
bootloader do you use?

> And how would the MBR get messed up if I unchecked all
> possibilities for loading LILO or GRUB when I ran the upgrade process?

you keep saying "lilo or grub".  that's confusing me.  which one?

> Would running "linux rescue" from the command prompt when booting with the
> installation CD-ROM in the machine be essentially the same as running a
> rescue disk?

essentially.  i don't know much about redhat.  for a rescue disk you
need a bootable disk.  most often with 1) a kernel so you don't have to
guess which partition of the HD the kernel is on (or in case the
HD's version of the kernel is hosed).

it's also nice to have 2) a root filesystem for the same reason.

linuxcare / lnx-bbc come with both.   debian floppies also come with
both, but on different floppies.

how does your system boot?  is it lilo, grub, ntloader or none of the
above?   need more info.

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org