[vox-tech] underclocking

Sat, 5 Jan 2002 09:21:28 -0800

henry, my firewall, mephisto, is using a "Pentium MMX" clocked at 233MHz.

there is no fan.  it's creepy how quiet it is.  in fact, sometimes i
have to look over to it just to get a mental confirmation that the damn
thing is on.   have to admit, i've forgotten how nice it is to not have
a fan on a machine.

also, i've found that high quality fans are more quiet than others.
also, the case makes a big difference too.  i got lucifer the expensive
aluminum case (cooler master?  i forget.).  the thing has 3 internal
fans and 1 cpu fan, and i can barely hear a peep out of it.

if you want to come over and take a look at mephisto's motherboard,
you're more than welcome to.  we could even rent a couple of dr. who and
make a dinner out of it.  :)

pete

begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org