[vox-tech] Re: grub

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:17:06 -0800

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 01:24:13PM -0800, Matt Roper wrote:
[...]
>  * Install the grub package ("apt-get install grub").
>  * As root, use grub-install to put the grub code into the MBR
>    ("grub-install /dev/hda").

I add --root-directory=3D/ to the command above; probably not needed but I =
am
superstitious ;-).

>  * Run "update-grub" to generate an initial grub config file; this
>    script will automatically add menu entries for all kernels that you
>    have installed.

Alternately, copy the example menu.lst packaged with grub-doc. The example
file is heavily commented and should be easy for anyone familiar with
conffiles to customize. The format is vaguely similar to lilo.conf.

Note that you do not need to re-run grub or any other program after you edit
menu.lst!

[...]
>  * By default, grub will assume that linux is on /dev/hda1 (which is
>    expressed (hd0,0) in grub notation); if this isn't correct for your

Note that (1) partition numbers start at zero and (2) SCSI and IDE disks are
both 'hd'. Consult /boot/grub/device.map after installing grub to see
translations from linux to grub notation.

[...]
> If you like to keep a menu entry for every single kernel you have
> installed, then you should run the update-grub script every time you
> install a new kernel version.  You can have this done automatically by
> adding the following lines to your /etc/kernel-img.conf file (create the
> file if it doesn't exist):

This will only work if you build new kernels using kernel-package. Shame on
you if you use Debian and install kernels manually ;-).

Other niceness: GRUB actually understands filesystems. Regular ext2 is
supported, and also reiser, xfs, jfs, fat, and others. Unless you use
something obscure, you are covered.

Grub does not deal well with symlinks across filesystems, though, since it
runs before extra filesystems are mounted. For example, a symlink /vmlinuz =
/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19 will not work if boot is a separate filesystem. Not a
big deal if your machine's BIOS supports large disks, but otherwise you will
need to reference all configured kernels as (grub device name)/filename
(e.g., (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.2.19) instead of by Linux name (e.g., /boot/...).

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>