[vox-tech] Xlib "RENDER" question...

R . Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:34:47 -0800

Thanks Pete and Eric for your help!

Pete, at your suggestion, I searched for for the Xlib RENDER message
and found references to the newsgroup comp.os.linux.x. In it, I found a
very helpful reply to my question:

==========================
Bob Tennent wrote:

> What does the message in the Subject mean? I get it when I start some
> applications. I'm using XFree86-4.1.0 on RedHat 7.2.
>
> Bob T.

Just that the RENDER extension (does font anti-aliasing for one) is not
supported for your card.  AFAIK it is otherwise harmless.
If you do "xdpyinfo |grep RENDER" it will return RENDER if your card
can use this extension. (or is supported to do so.

all the best,
Robert_L
--
Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin) for i586
Kernel 2.4.16   XFree86 4.1.0   KDE: 2.2.1    KNode: 0.6.1

Looks like it's not just a KDE problem. I ran the xdpyinfo command and
there is no RENDER string which comes up. Looks like it's just my
crappy video card. :)

Thanks again!

Doug

On 2002.02.26 14:42 Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Erik Mullinix <Hesp@rainworks.org>
> > I am also using KDE Pete and I dont have this problem any more.
>
> lots and lots and lots of factors here.  no surprise that not every
> KDE
> user has the same problem.
>
> from your sentence, i take it you had the problem at some point?
>
> > What causes it.. what is being done when the problem occures.
>
> no idea.  like i said, i briefly looked at deja, and nobody had an
> answer.  i would never run KDE myself; it's really not important to me
> (other than the fact that a friend needs help).   :-)
>
> KDE was definitely a common denominator.  i think perhaps the font
> system *might* have also been a common denominator.  not sure about
> this
> one though.
>
> pete

[rest of message snipped]