[vox-tech] ssh remote commands

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:19:43 -0800

I'm trying to set up remote access to the PC on my LAN which has the
Rio MP3 player connected to it.  Unfortunately, the command which talks
to it, "rio", requires root access.

As an exercise in safety, I'd like to set up password-less access to the
'/usr/bin/rio' command on that system via SSH.  Unfortunately, I just noticed
this in sshd's man page:

     command="command"
             Specifies that the command is executed whenever this key is used
             for authentication.  The command supplied by the user (if any) is
             ignored. ...         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
             ^^^^^^^

This means that I can't do anything like:

  ssh root@zen rio -d

  ssh root@zen rio -za

  ssh root@zen rio -u somefile.mp3

Now, I can set up 'sudo' to let particular users access the 'rio' command,
but unfortunately, unless you've ran the command very recently (eg, in the
last 5 minutes!), they're forced to enter their sudo'ing password.  ie:

  ssh myself@zen sudo rio -d

will ask me for 'myself's password.  What's worse is, since this is via
an 'ssh' command execution, when I type my password, it's echoed back!

Looking at these issues, and the fact that one will need to be scp'ing
files back and forth to the host with the Rio connected to it ANYWAY,
I'm thinking ssh or ssh/sudo isn't going to be what I need.

I guess I should look into riofs and see if I can do some sort of weird
double remote mounting.  Or somehting. :)

-bill!