[vox-tech] misc. XF86 4 upgrade and accel 3D issues

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:04:57 -0800

So today I decided it was about time I got 3D working on my box again
(I have a Voodoo 3 2000, and am running Debian testing).

I started with the innocent looking:

  apt-get install xserver-xfree86

That bumped me up to XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1.  Yay!
However, accelerated 3D still didn't work.  A bit of head-pounding and IRCing
later, I finally found the answer on Google Groups:

  apt-get install xlibmesa3

Now, the "glxgears" demo runs at ~80fps, even in fullscreen!  Yay!

But now, I'm having a few issues.  The first, and most apparent, is that
my fonts are... umm... different.  For example, in Konsole (the x-term in KDE),
the default font is some sans-serif proportional font which is coming out
anti-aliased, and in non-proportional space (which, of course, looks very odd).

I'm guessing I need to apt-get install some other fonts.  I'll probably
get that figured out if I spend more time (and time while I'm /awake/ :) )

I installed Terminus and TuxRacer today (two of the many commercial Linux
games I've ended up buying or being given, which require accel'd 3D).

Terminus, unfortunately, won't run due to a libstdc++ conflict.  (A simple
symblink won't fix it, so I've had to resort to e-mailing Vicarious Vision's
support address.)

TuxRacer, at first, didn't run, because I didn't have a 'matching GLX visual.'
Checking their website, I discovered that for some reason the default
'.rc' file for TuxRacer asks for 32bpp, but my screen's at 16bpp.
I just changed the .rc file to use whatever my current color depth was.

Now, however, rather than complaining and aborting, running the 'tuxracer'
executable actually kills my X server!

Also, now, my virtual consoles (the text consoles accessible via Ctrl-Alt-F1
thru Ctrl-Alt-F6) can't be seen.  (Instead, I just see a frozen 640x480
zoom-in of the upper righthand corner of what was on the X screen (C-A-F7)
when I switched.  I can still log in and so forth, but I'm blind.  I may as
well have the monitor turned off :^(  --  Note... once upon a time, under
Red Hat, I had the same issue.)

Finally... and this is a dumb question (but I was having a hell of a time
finding anything using dselect), when I try to compile one of my OWN 3D
games from source, I get complaints about glx.h, gl.h, glu.h, and glut.h
missing.  What do I need to apt-get to get those fellows on my box?

Does any of this sound familiar?  And if so, does anyone have any suggestions?

In the meantime, I guess I'll leave my invisible consoles, my akward X11
fonts, and my broken 3D games, and head to bed. :)

G'nite, and thanks!

-bill!