[vox-tech] SIG11 Problems and hardware suggestions

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:57:15 -0800

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 04:33:34PM -0800, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> Hey all:
>
>I am just tearing out my hair over SIG11 (seg fault) problems with a one of my
>linux boxes.  After stumbling around in some FAQ's, and some postings in
>various newsgroups, I have discovered that these problems have more to do with
>the hardware than the os or software (caching, memory, speed settings, etc).  I
>have discovered that not only are these problems _extremely_ annoying, but
>rather tough (for me) to solve, due to the sheer number of causes.

I've never touched a computer that had a SIG11 problem, I run probably 100
linux boxes machines at math and probably 40 ish at ITD.

I believe the GCC faq basically says:

Q: #N Why does gcc keep dying with a SIG 11 in different places.
A: Bad memory

I'd first buy some quality memory, i.e. www.crucial.com, or at least
name brand.  Don't overclock, buy an ASUS motherboard, or at least
a name brand (abit, tyan, supermicro and similar)

>Can anyone recommend the following hardware combos that DO NOT have sig 11
>problems (i am searching for a new box)?  I have heard that the MOBO and memory
>are usually the culprits, although there are some accounts of hard disks
>screwing the proverbial pooch.

Most anything should work.  I'd recommend a athlon for price/performance
is a priority (and absolute perf for that matter).  Kt266a is a very nice
chipset, great memory system, I've heard of no complaints, I have a few
around, at least one asus, and 1 gigabyte.  The gigabyte is somewhat
unique in that it has onboard linux compatible network.

I just (today) got a microatx nvidia abit motherboard.  Network, ethernet,
and awesome (for onboard) 2d/3d, about gf2mx speed.  Just add dimms,
cpu, and fan and your off and running.

> I would love to hear accounts of "this MOBO/CPU running with <<brand name>>
> memory would NEVER SIG11".
>
> I have heard that ASUS boards with Athlon's are pretty good.  How about memory?
>  DDR vs PC100/133?  Are any brands more or less reliable than others?

I've had I think zero returns on www.crucial.com, I'd definitely get
PC2100 memory, do NOT get a motherboard that takes 2 types of memory.

> Currently, my problem box is a AMD K6-2 with a 256 MB of memory (PC100, one
> stick of Viking, and one stick of kingston)

Mixing brands isn't recommended, I'd pull one and see if the problem
persists, if it does switch.  I'm betting either one is defective
or both.

>, a TYAN MOBO, and a Maxtor HD.  I
> suspect it's the memory, but I haven't nailed it down yet.

It's where I'd look first.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics