[vox-tech] ******* Video card....

Brian Lavender vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:08:31 -0800

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:52:19PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I ought to be able to upgrade X, mandrake installed 4.03, and I managed to
> > get 4.10 working on my own.
> >
> > Best back up my filesystem up first in case I screw things up
>
> yup.  i read that the chipset you mentioned went into a late 4.1.0 cvs.
> it's probably updated in 4.2.*.   i don't know any distros that come
> with 4.2.*, but perhaps you can build X from cvs.  i think i remember a
> few people (brian lavender?) saying it wasn't that bad at all.

Your Mandrake is probably running a frame buffer (Not accelerated,
and not that great)

$ make World >& world.log (Not sure on the exact syntax)
# make install >& install.log

It's pretty easy. It takes about 45 to 50 minutes on my laptop. 1 GHz
256 Meg RAM.

but Redhat 7.2 _does_ come with some of the 4.2.0 CVS tree patched in
its 4.1.0 version. Mike Harris back ported it. He's the XFree86 RPM
maintainer for Redhat, and he is very ambitious. You have to add a line
to your XF86Config-4 file to get the card to work though.  I have some
sample configs on my ftp server. ftp://ftp.brie.com/pub/xfree86
You'll need a line that says

VideoRam 8192 (Or whatever ram you have)

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/