[vox-tech] ******* Video card....

Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:52:19 -0800

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
> > a quick search on deja yielded something similar to your problem:
> >
> >    The only problem is, that if I switch to graphic-mode, I have to turn
> >    off the monitor (Fn+F5). If X is started, I can switch on the Monitor
> >    again.  If I want to get back to the text modus, its the same again
> >
> > does that help?
>
> Not really, It kinda gets stuck in graphical mode. I try switching to a tty,
> and the x sessions stays on screen (even though I am on the tty, I can log
> in, type ^G and hear it) even though it's not accesable till i go back to the
> x tty. Also, when I type stuff, the display wraps around to the left as iff
> bits were being pushed into a buffer.
>
> It should also be note that this happens mostly at random, and I have been
> unable to intentionaly reproduce it.
>
> I ought to be able to upgrade X, mandrake installed 4.03, and I managed to
> get 4.10 working on my own.
>
> Best back up my filesystem up first in case I screw things up

yup.  i read that the chipset you mentioned went into a late 4.1.0 cvs.
it's probably updated in 4.2.*.   i don't know any distros that come
with 4.2.*, but perhaps you can build X from cvs.  i think i remember a
few people (brian lavender?) saying it wasn't that bad at all.

i never did it myself.  :)

pete