[vox-tech] x-windows problem?

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:06:00 -0800

--cvVnyQ+4j833TQvp

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:34:44PM -0800, kaiharris@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> I'm having problems logging into my computer.  I shut it down to install
> more RAM and then rebooted.  Comp boots all the way to the text login, but
> I dont have a chance to loging here because it is set to log straight into
> x-windows first and then give a graphical login window. when it tries to
> boot into x-windows, nothing shows up on the monitor.  The monitor seems
> as though it is turning on and off...or trying to switch resolutions.

Probably X is configured for a mode that your video hardware does not
support.

> When I ctrl-alt-del to restart, the boot-down procedure couldn't shutdown
> the x-font system.  the error message read:
> shutting down x-font system       [failed]
> so, I shutdown and took out the RAM I had just installed and booted back
> up.  The same thing happened again.

This problem has nothing to do with the RAM. You (or someone, or some
process) modified the X server configuration=20

> Apart from the obvious issue of how can I boot back into KDE, I'm not sure
> how to stop the boot procedure from trying to load x-windows on startup.
> Then at least i could log onto the computer.

Type 'single' at the boot loader's command line. For example, if you use li=
lo
and your default kernel is called 'Linux', type 'Linux single' at the lilo
prompt.

> I know this probably sounds very vague, but I dont know what more
> information I can give.  does anybody have any idea what might be going
> on?  I would prefer not to have to reinstall!

I doubt a reinstall is necessary. Could you please tell us:

* What distribution and version?
* What other modifications you made to your computer recently?

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>