[vox-tech] x-windows problem?

Cathair vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:06:38 -0800 (PST)

Holy frijoles!  I had this same exact problem just last month: screen
behaving as if it was switching on and off every second or so...

I got my putty colored box set up to boot directly into runlevel 5 (I
think)...
Anyhow... I did the "linux 1" at the lilo prompt in order to get a command
prompt.  That worked to get me back in as root.

Then, in trying to diagnose the problem, a random memory from way back at
one of last falls LUGOD meetings collided with a still functioning and as
yet, undamaged brain cell, and I thought "Ya know, I wonder if my disk is
full?"  'cuz I haven't done anything with my log files in several
decades...

So I typed "df" and discovered that my "/" partition had zero free
megabytes.  The "df" output indicated "100% use" on "/".
Now, I have pack-rat tendencies, so I immediately reevaluated why I was
holding onto about 20 megs worth of tarball downloads and decided they had
to go!
So, after "rm"ing them into bit heaven... I had 99% use on "/" and...
*VOILA* my system would suddenly boot into graphic mode again.
Your mileage may indeed vary... and on a further note, I still haven't
fixed my overflowing log file problem 'cuz I have yet to learn how to make
this Travan tape drive work with Linux. :)  Any clues for the clueless
would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Glass	   cathair@yolo.com