[vox-tech] suse linux and certified hardware

Jim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 21:02:36 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C2ADEB.48946600

Greetings Linux professionals:
I want to buy suse Linux version 8.1 professional but want to be =
absolutely sure that I buy the right hardware so my new system can run =
flawlessly.

I am very green to this and wanted some input before I spend some =
serious dollars on a new compatible system.  I want to buy a mainboard =
to drive a top of the line Pentium 4 cpu.  I also want to buy a top of =
the line sound card (like creative's audigy to take advantage of some of =
the slick features in suse Linux 8.1 that I have seen on their website). =
 I did find a mainboard that is on suse Linux 8.1 compatibility list and =
looks to be top notch, asus p4b , but figured that the people on this =
list could clue me in as to weather this is a good board

The only kernel I know serves chicken in a bucket so I can't configure =
anything.

I have sent e-mail to suse and asked their advice but to no avail.  They =
can only help me if I have some sort of product ID which comes with suse =
Linux 8.1.  Hello.....I haven't bought it yet because I want to see if =
there is a remote possibility to make this thing work!

I have tried to use redhat ver. 7.1 and found that it is not as user =
friendly as (here it comes) windose and found that a lot of items on my =
system weren't compatible.  I sure as heck didn't know what to do with =
tarballs and the like and using that rpm carp didn't work at all.  With =
most windose programs, all you have to do is click on ok, yes, and =
finish and poof!...done.  With Linux you have to know computer =
programming just to make the hardware function semi correctly.

It is a windose world.  It will be for some time.  I do see that Linux =
is up and coming but it has to get a heck of a lot easier for the =
regular joe blow that doesn't know squat about computers and be =
compatible with at least 80% of the hardware.

Educate this aspiring computer nerd.  I want to learn computer =
programming and use Linux but before I can do this I have to at least =
have it working on my computer.  I also want to use DSL on it and use it =
as a server and have other non Linux pc's tapped into it on a LAN but =
don't know if either can be done with what I know about this operating =
system.

I know cars (I am a mechanic).  It is what I do for a living.  I know =
very little about personal computers.

Jim
------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C2ADEB.48946600

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Greetings Linux =
professionals:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I want to buy suse Linux version 8.1 =
professional=20
but want to be absolutely sure that I buy the right hardware so my new =
system=20
can run flawlessly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am very green to this and wanted some =
input=20
before I spend some serious dollars on a new compatible system.&nbsp; I =
want to=20
buy a mainboard to drive a top of the line Pentium 4 cpu.&nbsp; I also =
want to=20
buy a top of the line sound card (like creative's audigy to take =
advantage of=20
some of the slick features in suse Linux 8.1 that I have seen =
on&nbsp;their=20
website).&nbsp; I did find a mainboard that is on suse Linux 8.1 =
compatibility=20
list and looks to be top notch, <A=20
href=3D"http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b/overview.htm">asus =
p4b</A>&nbsp;, but=20
figured that the people on this list could clue me in as to weather this =
is a=20
good board</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The only kernel I know serves chicken =
in a bucket=20
so I can't configure anything.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have sent&nbsp;e-mail to suse and=20
asked&nbsp;their advice but to no avail.&nbsp; They can only help =
me&nbsp;if I=20
have some sort of product ID which comes with suse Linux 8.1.&nbsp; =
Hello.....I=20
haven't bought it yet because I want to see if there is a remote =
possibility to=20
make&nbsp;this thing work!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have tried to use redhat ver. 7.1 and =
found that=20
it is not as user friendly as (here it comes) windose and found that a =
lot of=20
items on my system weren't compatible.&nbsp; I sure as&nbsp;heck didn't =
know=20
what to do with tarballs and the like and using that rpm carp didn't =
work at=20
all.&nbsp; With most windose programs, all you have to do is click on =
ok, yes,=20
and finish and poof!...done.&nbsp; With Linux you have to know computer=20
programming just to make the hardware function semi =
correctly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It is a windose world.&nbsp; It will be =
for some=20
time.&nbsp; I do see that Linux is up and coming but it has to get a =
heck of a=20
lot easier for the regular joe blow that doesn't know squat about=20
computers&nbsp;and be compatible with at least 80% of the =
hardware.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Educate this aspiring computer =
nerd.&nbsp; I want=20
to learn computer programming and use Linux but before I can do this I =
have to=20
at least have it working on my computer.&nbsp; I also want to use DSL on =
it and=20
use it as a server and have other non Linux pc's tapped into it on a LAN =
but=20
don't know if&nbsp;either can be done with what I know about this =
operating=20
system.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know cars (I am a mechanic).&nbsp; It =
is what I=20
do for a living.&nbsp; I know very little about personal =
computers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C2ADEB.48946600--