[vox-tech] new kernel -> kernel panic

Issac Trotts vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:02:52 -0800

Even though my problem is basically solved, I'd still like to talk this
through so I know how to avoid similar problems in the future.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:02:00PM -0800, ME wrote:
> This suggests that you are using CFS (Cryptographic Filesystem) for your
> root filesystem ("/") and the new kernel does not have support for it.
>
> 03:02 refers to device major 03 (hda) minor 2 (partition 2) or /dev/hda2
>
> It is also possible that support for ide controllers was omited from your
> new kernel. Verify that you have ide support in this kernel/

I guess the only way to be sure is to compile the kernel myself...

> Did you build your own kernel, or use one from your vendor?

The old kernel was a 2.2.18 binary from Debian.  The new one was a
2.4.something binary from Debian.

> Did the previous kernel use an initrd disk image to preload modules before
> switching roots?

I'm not sure.  How can I find out?

> in your bootloader,m what is your root= set to?

Do you know where to find bootloader,m ?

> Hope this points you in directions to find the problem you face.

At least it shows me that I need to learn more about the kernel.

Issac